My research interests include cloud computing, storage and distributed systems and operating systems. My graduate research has focused on two closely related directions: 1) making MapReduce instances more efficient, when running on both bare metal clusters and virtualized clusters, through prudent resource management and dynamic performance tuning; and 2) improving storage efficiency in virtualized data centers by designing content-aware de-duplication based caching protocols and a similarity-aware virtual machine management mechanism. I am enthusiastic about applying system principles to solve practical, real-world system problems and to build deployable systems.
For detailed description of projects, please click here.
· Min Li, Liangzhao Zeng, Shicong Meng, Jian Tan, Li Zhang, Ali R. Butt, Nicholas Fuller, mrOnline: MapReduce Online Performance Tuning, To Appear In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), Vancouver, Canada, June, 2014. (AR: 16%).
· Min Li, Dinesh Subhraveti, Ali R. Butt, Aleksandr Khasymski, and Prasenjit Sarkar. CAM: A Topology Aware Minimum Cost Flow Based Resource Manager for MapReduce Applications in the Cloud. To appear in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), Delft, The Netherlands. June 2012. (AR: 16.1%).
· Min Li, Shravan Gaonkar, Ali R. Butt, Deepak Kenchammana, and Kaladhar Voruganti, Cooperative Storage-Level De-Deduplication for I/O Reduction in Virtualized Data Centers, MASCOTS 2012
· Ramya Prabhakar, Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, Youngjae Kim, Ali R. Butt, Min Li, and Mahmut Kandemir. Provisioning a Multi-Tiered Data Staging Area for Extreme-Scale Machines. In Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), Minneapolis, MN, June 2011.
· Min Li, Sudharshan S. Vazhkudai, Ali R. Butt, Fei Meng, Xiaosong Ma, Youngjae Kim, Christian Engelmann, and Galen Shipman. Functional Partitioning to Optimize End-to-End Performance on Many-core Architectures. In Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC10), New Orleans, LA. November 2010. (AR: 20%).
· Min Li, Sushil Mantri, Pin Zhou, and Ali R. Butt. SMIO: I/O Similarity Aware Virtual Machine Management in Virtual Desktop Environments. Poster in the 27th ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS 2013), Eugene, OR, pages 2, June 2013.
· Functional Partitioning to Optimize End-to-End Performance on Many-core Architectures.
· CAM: A Topology Aware Minimum Cost Flow Based Resource Manager for MapReduce Appli-cations in the Cloud. IBM Student Workshop for Frontiers of Cloud Computing 2012, Jul 2012, Hawthorne, NY.
· MapReduce Online Performance Tuning. IBM Student Workshop for Frontiers of Cloud Computing 2013, Jul 2013, Yorktown Heights, NY.
Honors and Awards
2013-2014, A recipient of IBM Ph. D. Fellowship
2012-2013, A recipient of IBM Ph. D. Fellowship
Travel Grant: OSDI 2008, OSDI 2010, FAST 2010-2013, ICS 2013
Student Volunteer: SC 2010, SC 2013
Summer 2013, Research Intern, IBM TJ Watson Research Center
Summer 2012, Research Intern, IBM Almaden Research Center
Summer 2011, Research Intern, IBM Almaden Research Center
Summer 2010, Research Intern, NetApp Advanced Technology Group
Fall 2008 to present, Research Assistant, DSSL, CS, Virginia Tech
Fall 2010, TA, CS4234 Parallel Computing by Dr. Cameron
Spring 2010, Teaching Assistant, CS2505 Computer Organization by Dr. McQuain
Fall 2009, Teaching Assistant, CS4234 Parallel Computation by Dr. Sandu
Spring 2009, Teaching Assistant, CS3204 Operating Systems by Dr. Butt
Fall 2008, Teaching Assistant, CS4234 Parallel Computation by Dr. Sandu
Email: limin AT cs.vt.edu
229 Blossom hill Rd APT 14
San Jose, CA, 95123
2-B57 Knowledge Works II (KWII @ CRC)
2202 Kraft Drive
limin AT cs.vt.edu
DSSL in fall 2008.
I am a recipient of IBM PhD Fellowship for two consecutive
years (2012 and 2013 academic year).
Last updated by Min Li on April ,2014