Cliff Shaffer's Presentations and Posters
Here are some presentations and posters that I have created or coauthored.
- Jones TC Jr, Shaffer CA, Palmisano A, Hoops S, and Tyson JJ. Aggregation Connector: A Tool for Building Large Molecular Network Models from Components. Poster presented at The First International Conference on Computational Cell Biology, Aug 14-16, 2013, Blacksburg, VA.
- S. Hall, E. Fouh, D. Breakiron, M. Elshehaly, and C.A. Shaffer, Evaluating Online Tutorials for Data Structures and Algorithms Courses, Proceedings of the 2013 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Atlanta, GA, June 2013.
- E. Fouh, D. Breakiron, M. Elshehaly, T.S. Hall, V. Karavirta, and C.A. Shaffer, OpenDSA: using an active eTextbook to teach data structures and algorithms, poster abstract appears in Proceedings of the 44th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, SIGCSE 2013, Denver, CO, March 2013, 734.
- M. Akbar and C.A. Shaffer, Deduced Social Networks for Educational Portal, Student Research Competition 2nd place winner, SIGCSE 2012, Raleigh, NC, March 2012.
- M. Akbar and C.A. Shaffer, User Type Clustering to Refine Search and Browse for Educational Resources, poster presentation at SIGCSE 2012, Raleigh, NC, March 2012.
- E. Fouh, M. Sun, and C.A. Shaffer, OpenDSA: A Creative Commons Active-eBook, poster presentation at SIGCSE 2012, Raleigh, NC, March 2012.
- M. Akbar, A.J. Alon, M. Stewart, C.A. Shaffer, S.H. Edwards, Building an Online Educational Community, 2010 Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Blacksburg VA, February 2010.
- M. Akbar, Y. Chen, M. Stewart, E.A. Fox, C.A. Shaffer, S.H. Edwards, P. Fan, Ensemble: Enriching Communities and Collections to Support Education in Computing, 2010 Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Blacksburg VA, February 2010.
- M. Akbar, A.J. Alon, M. Stewart, C.A. Shaffer, S.H. Edwards, AlgoViz Portal: Lowering the Barriers for Entry into an Online Educational Community, 2010 Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Blacksburg VA, February 2010.
- C.A. Shaffer, S.H. Edwards, and M. Akbar, The AlgoViz Portal: Lowering the Barriers for Entry into an Online Educational Community, Poster presented at NSF NSDL PIs meeting, November 2009.
- J. Park and C.A. Shaffer, AlgoViz.org: An Online Educational Community for Algorithm Visualizations", REU student project presentation, July 2009.
- C.A. Shaffer, M. Agarwal, A. Kumar, and S.H. Edwards, Going Beyond Algorithm Visualization to Algorithm Exploration, presented at SIGCSE'08, Portland, Oregon, March 2008.
- R. Randhawa, C.A. Shaffer, and J.J. Tyson, Composition and Aggregation for Biological Pathway Modeling, in The Seventh International Conference on Systems Biology 2006, Yokohama, Japan, October 2006, poster FI66. [Abstract, Poster]
- P.R. Brown, C.A. Shaffer and R.E. Webber, A Paging Scheme for Pointer-Based Quadtrees, Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual ACM Computer Science Conference, San Antonio, TX, Mar 1991, 687, also second place award winner, Virginia Tech Graduate Student Symposium, 1991.
- H. Samet, A. Rosenfeld, C.A. Shaffer, and R.E. Webber, Quadtree Region Representation in Cartography: Experimental Results (.pdf), Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'83), Washington D.C., Jun 1983, 176-177.
- C.A. Shaffer, T.L. Naps, and E. Fouh, Truly Interactive Textbooks for Computer Science Education given at The Sixth Program Visualization Workshop, June 30, 2011, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Clifford A. Shaffer, "How can we teach problem solving?", Keynote talk presented at the 2nd NNEER Seminar, Nordic Network of Engineering Education Research, Svarte Manor, Finland, May 25, 2011.
- Clifford A. Shaffer, Monika Akbar, Alexander Joel D. Alon, Michael Stewart, and Stephen H. Edwards, "Getting Algorithm Visualizations into the Classroom", paper presentation at SIGCSE 2011, Dallas TX, March 10, 2011.
- Clifford A. Shaffer, "How to use Algorithm Visualizations in Your Class"", part of a workshop at SIGCSE 2011, Dallas TX, March 9, 2011.
- Zhen Liu, Clifford A. Shaffer, Umme Juka Mobassera, Layne T. Watson, and Yang Cao, "Multistate Modeling and Simulation for Regulatory Networks",invited talk at Winter Simulation Conference 2010, Baltimore Maryland, December 7, 2010.
- Cliff Shaffer, Tom Naps, Susan Rodger, and Steve Edwards, "Buiding an Online Educational Community for Algorithm Visualization," special session presentation at SIGCSE'10, Milwaulkee, WI, March 12, 2010.
- The AlgoViz Project, presented to REU summer students at University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, July 2009.
- Computer Science Education Research, presented to the CS Departmental Seminar, April 17, 2009.
- R. Randhawa, C.A. Shaffer, and J.J. Tyson, Fusing and Composing Macromolecular Regulatory Network Models, presented at 2007 High Performance Computing Symposium (HPC 2007), Norfolk, VA, March 2007.
- C.A. Shaffer, R. Randhawa, and J.J. Tyson, The Role of Composition and Aggregation in Modeling Macromolecular Regulatory Networks, presented at the 2006 Winter Simulation Conference, Monterey, CA, December 2006.
- Modeling the Cell Cycle with JigCell and DARPA’s BioSPICE Software, presented at Workshop on Pathway Databases and Modeling Tools, Princeton University, June 2006.
- T.D Panning, L.T. Watson, N.A. Allen, C.A. Shaffer, and J.J Tyson, Deterministic Global Parameter Estimation for a Budding Yeast Model, presented at 2006 High Performance Computing Symposium (HPC'06), Huntsville, AL, April 2006.
- L. Thomas, E. Thomas, L. Mili, and C.A. Shaffer, Locating Exterior Defects on Hardwood Logs Using High Resolution Laser Scanning (.pdf), presented at The 59th International Forest Products Society Convention, June 2005, Quebec City, Canada.
- Beyond SBML, presented at the 3rd Annual Systems Biology Markup Language Hackathon, Tokyo, Japan, May 2005.
- User Interface Paradigms for Describing Pathway Models, presented at "Formal Languages for Biological Processes," Banbury Conference, Cold Spring Harbor Lab, April 2003.
- The DARPA BioSPICE Project, presented to the Virginia Bioinformatics Instutute Symposium, Blacksburg, VA, March 2003.
- BioSPICE and Problem-Solving Environments for Systems Biology, presented to 22nd Annual Seminar of Cancer Researchers in Virginia, Blacksburg VA, April 13, 2002.
- C.A. Shaffer, Collaborative Problem Solving Environments, invited position paper presented at NSF Invitational Workshop on Distributed Information, Computation, and Process Management for Scientific and Engineering Environments, Herndon, VA, May 1998.
- C.A. Shaffer, V. Miranda, J.J.C. Wang, S. Kriss, L.W. Carstensen, Jr., R.W. Morrill, and E.A. Fox, Computerized Simulations for Introductory Geography Instruction (.pdf), Proceedings of Application of Geographic Information Systems, Simulation Models, and Knowledge-based Systems for Landuse Management, Blacksburg, VA, Nov 12-14, 1990, 479-480.
- C.A. Shaffer and G. Herb, A Real-Time Robot Collision Avoidance System (.pdf, BibTeX), Eighteenth Annual ACM Computer Science Conference, Washington D.C., Feb 20-22, 1990, 441.
- Notes on Graduate School
- Introduction to Performance and Computational Complexity (for a non-CS audience)
- Pathway Modeling and Problem Solving Environments, presented to CS3824 Introduction to Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Blacksburg, VA, March 2008.
Return to Cliff Shaffer's homepage.