What to do for the Reading/Presentation/Discussion Assignments
For each paper we cover in the class, you will have one of these tasks:
Presenter, Discusser, or Reader.
Presenter: (each paper will have 1 presenter assigned)
- Read paper carefully
- Check with me at least 2 days before your talk. I
may have video or live demo you can use in your presentation, and pointers
to other info on the web.
- Look up additional related info on the web.
short summary of paper on newsgroup by 5pm 2 days before presentation
- Prepare 15 minute talk:
- Describe data (specific example used in paper, and general data space) or the
problem they are trying to solve.
- Describe/demonstrate visualization
- Critique: what is it good for? What is it NOT good for? How does
it compare to other systems? How might it be improved?
- Address: user tasks, scale, 5 HCI metrics (primarily user performance)
- If paper includes evaluation study: describe
and critique study and conclusions.
- Talk should be professional. May
use PowerPoint or whatever.
- Since everyone should have already read the paper, try to focus on any new
material you found on the web.
- Hints: Be visual. Remember the title of this course! Attempt to maximize visuals and minimize text. Show the demo early in the presentation. For some strange reason, there is a strong natural tendency to give
lots of text then show the demo at the very end. Yet, this is exactly opposite of what gets the audience’s
attention. Consider making the talk interactive, to provoke
- Present talk in class.
- Post talk materials on website.
Discusser: (each paper will have 1 discusser assigned)
- Read paper carefully
- Post intelligent stimulating controversial reaction to paper by 5pm 2 days before its
presentation (preferably after presenter posts summary) to provoke heated
discussion. Ideas: critique in light of design principles, issues we
- Come to class prepared to discuss the paper in case everyone else zones.
- Take notes during the class discussion.
- Prepare an email note to the paper author:
- Say who you are, you are taking my course (provide class URL), we discussed
their paper (provide paper reference).
- Summarize discussion. Ask any questions we had. Make suggestions.
- Say we are looking forward to their response.
- Be cordial!
- Post note on news group by 1 day after class. Make any suggested changes.
- Send it to paper author after clearing it with me. cc me.
- Read author's humorous response in class so we can all laugh and enjoy.
Reader: (Everyone else)
- Read paper
- Think critically about it
- Take part in heated discussion on news group
to class prepared to discuss. I may call on students randomly.