I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech, where I direct the Machine Learning Laboratory.
My research is in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. My research focuses on building human-machine collaborative AI systems that can learn contextual and explainable models from multi-source and interconnected data.
Prior to joining Virginia Tech, I worked at the Palo Alto Research Center (aka Xerox PARC), where I led the machine learning research group, managed Procter & Gamble’s technical commercial portfolio, and spearheaded machine learning for sensors research.
I received my BE in Computer and Systems Engineering from Alexandria University, Egypt and my MS and PhD in Computer Science from Purdue University.
- May 22nd 2020 - received gift funding from Adobe Inc. to support a collaboration with Adobe Research to develop effective approaches for cloud demand forecasting.
- March 27th 2020 - recognized by Purdue University College of Science as a Distinguished Science Alumni (DSA) and receiving the Distinguished Science Early Career Award for the Department of Computer Science.
- February 25th 2020 - invited to speak at Association for Women in Computing (AWC) panel on “Internship and Research”.
- Fall 2019 - joined the Department of Computer Science in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech.
Recent Research Highlights
- Ensemble Learning for Relational Data
H. Eldardiry, J. Neville, R. Rossi. In Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 21(49) . 2020.
- Interactive remote patient monitoring and condition management intervention system
H. Eldardiry, J. Rubin, R. Abreu, S. Ahern, D. Garcia, H. Du, A. Pattekar, D. Bobrow. PATENT 10610144 granted, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), European Patent Office, Japan Patent. 2020.
- System And Method Using Augmented Reality For Efficient Collection Of Training Data For Machine Learning
M. Shreve, S. Kumar, J. Sun, G. Gavai, R. Price, H. Eldardiry. PATENT 20190130219 published, USPTO, European Patent Office. 2019.
- Inferring User Lifestyle And Preference Information From Images
R. Price, A. Roy, H. Eldardiry. US PATENT 20190164212, published. 2019.
- role2vec:Role-based Network Embeddings
N. Ahmed, R. Rossi, J. Lee, T. Willke, R. Zhou, X. Kong, H. Eldardiry. In Proceedings of The First International Workshop on Deep Learning on Graphs: Methods and Applications (DLG). 2019.
- Collaborative Learning of Concept Representations for Video Data
F. Torres, H. Eldardiry, G. Gavai, C. Ramos. In Proceedings of AAAI Spring Symposium on Combining Machine Learning with Knowledge Engineering. 2019.
- Building Jarvis - A Learner-Aware Conversational Trainer
S. Mohan, K. Ramea, B. Price, M. Shreve, H. Eldardiry, L. Nelson. In Proceedings of ACM user2agent IUI Workshop on User-Aware Conversational Agents. 2019.
- Hybrid image-based defect detection for railroad maintenance
G. Gavai, H. Eldardiry, W. Wu, B. Xu, Y. Komatsu, S. Makino. In Proceedings of The Image Sensors and Imaging Systems Conference, at IS&T Electronic Imaging. 2019.