I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech, where I direct the Machine Learning Laboratory.
My research is in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. My research focuses on building human-machine collaborative AI systems that can learn contextual and explainable models from multi-source and interconnected data.
Prior to joining Virginia Tech, I worked at the Palo Alto Research Center (aka Xerox PARC), where I led the machine learning research group, managed Procter & Gamble’s technical commercial portfolio, and spearheaded machine learning for sensors research.
I received my BE in Computer and Systems Engineering from Alexandria University, Egypt and my MS and PhD in Computer Science from Purdue University.
- July 13th 2020 - Milad Afzalan joined ENGIE North America as a Data Scientist.
- June 8th 2020 - Milad Afzalan successfully defended his MS. thesis.
- June 8th 2020 - Hongjie Chen started his internship at Adobe Research.
- June 1st 2020 - Afrina Tabassum started her internship at the University of Virginia Biocomplexity Institute.
- May 26th 2020 - Mia Taylor started her internship at Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- May 22nd 2020 - received gift funding from Adobe Inc. to support a collaboration with Adobe Research to develop effective approaches for cloud demand forecasting.
- March 27th 2020 - recognized by Purdue University College of Science as a Distinguished Science Alumni (DSA) and receiving the Distinguished Science Early Career Award for the Department of Computer Science.
- February 25th 2020 - invited to speak at Association for Women in Computing (AWC) panel on “Internship and Research”.
- Fall 2019 - joined the Department of Computer Science in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech.
Recent Research Highlights
- Role-based Graph Embeddings
N. Ahmed, R. Rossi, J. Lee, T. Willke, R. Zhou, X. Kong, H. Eldardiry. In IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), : pages “1–1",. 2020.
- Ensemble Learning for Relational Data
H. Eldardiry, J. Neville, R. Rossi. In Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 21(49) . 2020.
- Interactive remote patient monitoring and condition management intervention system
H. Eldardiry, J. Rubin, R. Abreu, S. Ahern, D. Garcia, H. Du, A. Pattekar, D. Bobrow. PATENT 10610144 granted, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), European Patent Office, Japan Patent. 2020.
- Method and System for Similarity-based Multi-label learning
H. Eldardiry, R. Rossi. US PATENT US 2020/0210888 A1 published. 2020.
- Agile Video Query using ensembles of deep neural nets
F. Torres, H. Eldardiry, M. Shreve, G. Gavai, C. Ramos. US PATENT 2020/0210780 A1 published. 2020.