I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. My research interests are in Social Computing, where I combine ideas from both computer science and social science to uncover insights about social life online via large datasets. I joined VT after completing my PhD in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, where I was a Foley Scholar. Previously, I have also worked in the neXus group at Microsoft Research, and the CUES group at IBM Research.
- 3 May 19 : Received an NSF award with Mike Horning for Designing Trustworthy and Transparent Information Platforms
- 30 Apr 19 : I was awarded the SSRC research grant to look at social media's impact on democracy using Facebook data.
- 25 Mar 19 : I was an invited speaker at the NATO StratCom COE's Emerging Trends in Social Media seminar.
- 16 Mar 19 : SENPAI accepted at ICWSM. Check out our paper.
- 7 Mar 19 : I received a grant from the Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention program to study hate-group communication in online spaces.
- 10 Aug 18 : 3 papers accepted to CSCW. Along with last year's two CSCW 2018 Online First acceptances, my lab will be presenting a total of 5 papers at the conference in November.
- 27 Jun 18 : Our work on conspiracy theories presented at ICWSM 2018 was featured on Wired.
- 13 Mar 18 : I received an NSF CRII Award to investigate misleading online news.
- 6 Mar 18 : I received an ICTAS Junior Faculty Award to combat online extremism.
Recent Publications (all)
SENPAI: Supporting Exploratory Text Analysis through Semantic & Syntactic Pattern Inspection
M. Samory, T. Mitra | ICWSM 2019 | paper | doi
The Government Spies Using Our Webcams: The Language of Conspiracy Theories in Online Discussions
M. Samory, T. Mitra | CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
FeedReflect: A toolkit for engaging users in active reflection on Twitter
M. Bhuiyan, K. Zhang, K. Vick, M. Horning, & T. Mitra | Extended Abstract of CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
Framing Hate with Hate Frames: Designing the Codebook
S. Phadke, J. Lloyd, J. Hawdon, & T. Mitra | Extended Abstract of CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
Conspiracies Online: User discussions in a Conspiracy Community Following Dramatic Events
M. Samory, T. Mitra | ICWSM 2018 | paper | doi