I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. My research interests are in Social Computing, where I combine ideas from both computer science and social science to uncover insights about social life online via large datasets. I joined VT after completing my PhD in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, where I was a Foley Scholar. Previously, I have also worked in the neXus group at Microsoft Research, and the CUES group at IBM Research.
- 10 Aug 18 : 3 papers accepted to CSCW. Along with last year's two CSCW 2018 Online First acceptances, my lab will be presenting a total of 5 papers at the conference in November.
- 27 Jun 18 : Our work on conspiracy theories presented at ICWSM 2018 was featured on Wired.
- 13 Mar 18 : I received the NSF CRII Award to investigate misleading online news.
- 6 Mar 18 : I received an ICTAS Junior Faculty Award to combat online extremism.
- 16 Oct 17 : Paper accepted to GROUP 2018!
- 8 Aug 17 : Two papers accepted to CSCW 2018!
- 11 Jul 17 : Accepted to the New Computer Science Faculty Teaching Workshop.
- 5 Mar 17 : Defended my dissertation.
- 6 Feb 17 : Our CSCW work on language models of credibility was covered by thenextweb and ScienceDaily.
- 6 Sep 16 : Our paper on language models of credibility was accepted to CSCW 2017.
Recent Publications (all)
The Government Spies Using Our Webcams: The Language of Conspiracy Theories in Online Discussions
M. Samory, T. Mitra | CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
FeedReflect: A toolkit for engaging users in active reflection on Twitter
M. Bhuiyan, K. Zhang, K. Vick, M. Horning, & T. Mitra | Extended Abstract of CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
Framing Hate with Hate Frames: Designing the Codebook
S. Phadke, J. Lloyd, J. Hawdon, & T. Mitra | Extended Abstract of CSCW 2018 | paper | doi
Conspiracies Online: User discussions in a Conspiracy Community Following Dramatic Events
M. Samory, T. Mitra | ICWSM 2018 | paper | doi
Credibility and the Dynamics of Collective Attention
T. Mitra, G. Wright & E. Gilbert | CSCW 2018 Online First | paper | doi