I am now at University of Washington. This site is outdated! Check out my UW website instead.
I am an assistant professor in the Information School at University of Washington. Previously I was an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. My research interests are in Social Computing, where I combine ideas from both computer science and social science to uncover insights about social life online via large datasets. I completed my PhD in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, where I was a Foley Scholar. Previously, I have also worked in the neXus group at Microsoft Research, and the CUES group at IBM Research.
- 15 Apr 20 : Received 2020 Dean’s Award for Outstanding New Assistant Professor in the College of Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- 6 Mar 20 : Invited to join the advisory board of SSRC's Social Data Initiative.
- 15 Jan 20 : Paper acceptances at GROUP 2020, CHI 2020, and C+J2020!
- 3 May 19 : Received an NSF award with Mike Horning for Designing Trustworthy and Transparent Information Platforms
- 30 Apr 19 : I was awarded the SSRC research grant to look at social media's impact on democracy using Facebook data.
- 25 Mar 19 : I was an invited speaker at the NATO StratCom COE's Emerging Trends in Social Media seminar.
- 10 Aug 18 : 3 papers accepted to CSCW. Along with last year's two CSCW 2018 Online First acceptances, my lab will be presenting a total of 5 papers at the conference in November.
- 27 Jun 18 : Our work on conspiracy theories presented at ICWSM 2018 was featured on Wired.
- 13 Mar 18 : I received an NSF CRII Award to investigate misleading online news.
- 6 Mar 18 : I received an ICTAS Junior Faculty Award to combat online extremism.
Recent Publications (all)
Measuring Misinformation in Video Search Platforms: An Audit Study on YouTube
E. Hussein, P. Juneja, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper | doi | dataset
Narrative Maps: An Algorithmic Approach to Represent and Extract Information Narratives
B. Keith, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper
What Makes People Join Conspiracy Communities?: Role of Social Factors in Conspiracy Engagement
S. Phadke, M. Samory, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper
Investigating Differences in Crowdsourced News Credibility Assessment: Raters, Tasks, and Expert Criteria
M. Bhuiyan, A. Zhang, C. Sehat, T. Mitra | CSCW 2020 | paper | dataset
Many Faced Hate: A Cross Platform Study of Content Framing and Information Sharing by Online Hate Groups
S. Phadke, T. Mitra | CHI 2020 | paper