My research interests include
Software Engineering and Programming Languages. Our research group NiSE (iNnovations in Software Engineering) (1) conduct empirical studies to comprehend program changes made by developers, and (2) develop methods and tools to assist comprehension of programs and changes, software bug detection, automatic program repair, program transformation, and program generation.
If you are a VT CS graduate or undergraduate student
interested in working with me,
please send me an e-mail.
03/2019: Our chapter on "Software Evolution" is published in the book "Handbook of Software Engineering".
03/2019: Our paper on "Meditor: Inference and Application of API Migration Edits" is accepted by ICPC 2019.
12/2018: Our paper on "How Reliable is the Crowdsourced Knowledge of Security Implementation?" is accepted by ICSE 2019.
Ye Wang (PhD student)
Bowen Shen (PhD student)
Ying Zhang (PhD student)
Chengyuan Wen (MS student)
Mengsu Chen (2018 MS)
Tung Dao (2017 MS => Cvent)
Sophia Kobelja (2017 Bachelor => Software Engineer at SimonComputing, Inc.)
Zhenshu Zhao (2016 Bachelor => Graduate Student at CMU-Silicon Valley)
CS6704: Software Engineering Research [Spring17][Spring19]
CS5704: Software Engineering [Spring16][Spring18]
CS3304: Comparative Languages [Fall16][Fall17][Fall18]
CS3704: Intermediate Software Design and Engineering [Fall15]
Selected Research Topics
Security coding practices [ICSE19][ICSE18]
Automated program transformations [MOBILESoft18][ICSE15][ICSE13][PLDI11]
Empirical studies on bug fixes
A complete list of publications can be found
System to uncover root cause of non-deterministic (flaky) tests (Patent Number 9,311,220).
Jungwoo Ha, Jaeheon Yi, Peter Dinges, Jeremy Manson, Caitlin Harrison Sadowski, Na Meng|
The implementations from nearly all of my publications are publicly available.
Other researchers have used several of these implementations in their publications.
See projects for details.
- Web Chair for PLDI 2019
- Co-chair: Publicity and Social Media for ASE 2017
- Committee Member: Co-Chair of SE Qualifier Exam in CS@VT 2019, Graduate Admission in CS@VT 2017-2019
- 2016 System Reading Group
- Program Board Member: ICSE 2020
- Program Committee Member: ICSME 2019, ICSE 2019, ASE 2018, SecDev 2018, ICSME 2017, Onward! 2017, ACM Student Research Competition (FSE 2016), FSE-VaR 2016, MSR 2016, ETX 2015, SEA 2015, MSR 2015
- Artifact Evaluation Committee Member: CGO and PPoPP 2016, OOPSLA 2015, PLDI 2015, CGO-PPoPP 2015
- Proposal Reviewer: VT DDS (internal funding) 2018, NSF Panel 2016
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Access 2019, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences 2019, JSME 2018, TSE 2018, Frontiers of Computer Science 2018, Empirical Software Engineering 2017, BMC Bioinformatics 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2016, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM) 2016, Journal of Software: Evolution and Process 2015, IEEE Software 2015, Journal of Systems and Software(JSS) 2015, JSS 2014, Empirical Software Engineering 2013