Na Meng is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech since 2015. Before 2015, she received her B.E. in Software Engineering from Northeastern University (NEU) in China in 2006, and received her M.S. in Computer Science from Peking University in China in 2009. She obtained her Ph.D. in Computer Science from The University of Texas at Austin in 2014, advised by Miryung Kim and Kathryn S. McKinley. Her main research interests are in Software Engineering and Programming Languages. Her research group NiSE (iNnovations in Software Engineering) (1) conduct empirical studies to comprehend program changes made by developers, and (2) develop methods and tools to assist comprehension of programs and changes, software bug detection, automatic program repair, program transformation, and program generation. Recently, she also focuses on developers' security coding practices. Dr. Meng received the NSF CAREER Award in 2019. Her research has been supported by NSF and ONR.
7/2020: Our paper on "Investigating The Reproducibility of NPM Packages" is accepted by ICSME 2020.
7/2020: Our paper on "Inferring and Applying Def-Use Like Configuration Couplings in Deployment Descriptors" is accepted by ASE 2020.
7/2020: Our project on "Reuse and Migration of GUI Tests" got funded by NSF.
6/2020: Our paper on "Coding Practices and Recommendations of Spring Security for Enterprise Applications" is accepted by SecDev 2020.
1/2020: Our paper on "An Empirical Study on API Parameter Rules" is accepted by ICSE 2020.
Bowen Shen (PhD student, Fall 2018 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Ying Zhang (PhD student, Spring 2019 - ) email@example.com
Mahir Kabir (PhD student, Fall 2019 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheikh Shadab Towqir (PhD student, Spring 2020 - ) email@example.com
Sheik Murad Hassan (PhD student, Spring 2020 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Tung Dao (PhD student, Fall 2020 - ) T.Dao@cvent.com
Zijian Jiang (MS student, Spring 2019 - ) email@example.com
Yan Zhao (MS student, Fall 2019 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Yaxuan Zhang (MS student, Spring 2020 - ) email@example.com
Rahul Agarwal (MS student, Spring 2020 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Hanwen Liu (MS student, Summer 2020 - ) email@example.com
Pronnoy Goswami (2020 MS => Microsoft)
Ye Wang (2020 MS)
Chengyuan Wen (2019 MS)
Mengsu Chen (2018 MS => Productiv Inc.)
Tung Dao (2017 MS => Cvent)
Zhiyuan Li (2020 BS)
Cihan Xiao (2019 BS)
Sophia Kobelja (2017 BS => Software Engineer at SimonComputing, Inc.)
Zhenshu Zhao (2016 BS => Graduate Student at CMU-Silicon Valley)
CS6704: Software Engineering Research [Spring17][Spring19]
CS5704: Software Engineering [Spring16][Spring18][Spring20]
CS3304: Comparative Languages [Fall16][Fall17][Fall18][Fall20]
CS3704: Intermediate Software Design and Engineering [Fall15][Fall19]
Selected Research Topics
Security coding practices [ICSE19][ICSE18]
Automated program transformations [MOBILESoft18][ICSE15][ICSE13][PLDI11]
Empirical studies on bug fixes
A complete list of publications can be found
System to uncover root cause of non-deterministic (flaky) tests (Patent Number 9,311,220).
Jungwoo Ha, Jaeheon Yi, Peter Dinges, Jeremy Manson, Caitlin Harrison Sadowski, Na Meng|
The implementations from nearly all of my publications are publicly available.
Other researchers have used several of these implementations in their publications.
See projects for details.
- Panelist for New Faculty Symposium co-located with ICSE 2020.
- Session Chair for ICSE 2020, ICSE 2019, LCTES 2019
- Web Chair for PLDI 2020, PLDI 2019
- Co-chair: Publicity and Social Media for ASE 2017
- Committee Member: Co-Chair of SE Qualifier Exam in CS@VT 2019, Graduate Admission in CS@VT 2017-2019
- 2016 System Reading Group
- External Reviewer Committee Member: PLDI 2020
- Program Board Member: ICSE 2020
- Program Committee Member: PLDI2021, ICSE 2021, DLS'19, ICSME 2019, ICSE 2019, ASE 2018, SecDev 2018, ICSME 2017, Onward! 2017, ACM Student Research Competition (FSE 2016), FSE-VaR 2016, MSR 2016, ETX 2015, SEA 2015, MSR 2015
- Artifact Evaluation Committee Member: CGO and PPoPP 2016, OOPSLA 2015, PLDI 2015, CGO-PPoPP 2015
- Proposal Reviewer: VT DDS (internal funding) 2018, NSF Panel 2016
- Journal Reviewer: TOSEM 2020, EMSE 2020, JSME 2020, TSE 2020, TSE 2019, JSS 2019, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics 2019, IEEE Access 2019, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences 2019, JSME 2018, TSE 2018, Frontiers of Computer Science 2018, Empirical Software Engineering 2017, BMC Bioinformatics 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2016, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM) 2016, Journal of Software: Evolution and Process 2015, IEEE Software 2015, Journal of Systems and Software(JSS) 2015, JSS 2014, Empirical Software Engineering 2013
NSF-2006278, NSF-1929701, NSF-1845446, ONR N00014-17-1-2498, NSF-1565827