Here is a collection of programming assignments that I have used over the years in my Data Structures and Algorithms course at Virginia Tech. I have removed local mechanics such as due dates and program submission policies, but the content remains as I have used them. Unfortunately, there are some dependencies and cross references between the assignment writups. Over time hopefully I can correct these.
See here if you want more details about the course itself.
- Bioinformatics: Storing DNA strings in a Linked List
- Bioinformatics: Storing DNA strings in a Trie
- Bioinformatics: Storing DNA strings on disk in Memory Manager
- Bioinformatics: Storing DNA strings on disk in Hash Table
- Bioinformatics: Stochastic simulation of reaction network using a heap
- GIS: PR Quadtree
- GIS: PR Quadtree stored on disk
- Schedule GIS 1: k-d Tree
- Schedule GIS 2: 2-3+ Tree
- Schedule GIS 3: Buffer Pool and Memory Manager
- Schedule GIS 4: B+ Tree
- General/GIS: Basic Memory Manager for strings
- General: Skip List
- General: Rectangle Quadtree
- General: Rectangle Quadtree stored on disk
- General: Solving a maze using a DFS/BFS
- General: Infinite Precision Arithmetic using linked lists
- General: Huffman Coding Tree with simple binary output
- General: Splay Tree
- General: External Sort using a Heapsort
- General: Database of Complex Records
Return to the book homepage.