Na Meng is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech since 2015. Before 2015, she received her B.E. in Software Engineering from Northeastern University (NEU) in China in 2006, and received her M.S. in Computer Science from Peking University in China in 2009. She obtained her Ph.D. in Computer Science from The University of Texas at Austin in 2014, advised by Miryung Kim and Kathryn S. McKinley. Her research interests include Software Engineering, Programming Languages, Software Security, and Artificial Intelligence. Her research group NiSE (iNnovations in Software Engineering) conduct various empirical studies and propose novel automatic approaches. The research mission is to reveal unknown and interesting phenomena in current software practices, to invent new tools that facilitate better software development and maintenance in the future, and to help with secure coding practices by developers. In particular, the group developed machine learning-based approaches to analyze source code and to predict developers' maintenance needs in the future. They also developed software engineering-based or programming language-based approaches to improve AI techniques. Dr. Meng received the NSF CAREER Award in 2019. Her research has been supported by NSF and ONR.
04/2021: Our paper on "Hero: On the Chaos When PATH Meets Modules" received the ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award.
04/2021: Our paper on "Classifying Code Commits with Convolutional Neural Networks" is accepted by IJCNN 2021.
03/2021: Our paper on "PDL: Scaffolding Problem Solving in Programming Courses" is accepted by ITiCSE 2021.
12/2020: Our paper on "Exploring the Triggering Modes of Spectrum-Based Fault Localization: An Industrial Case" is accepted by ICST 2021.
12/2020: Our paper on "Hero: On the Chaos When PATH Meets Modules" is accepted by ICSE 2021.
Bowen Shen (PhD student, Fall 2018 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Ying Zhang (PhD student, Spring 2019 - ) email@example.com
Mahir Kabir (PhD student, Fall 2019 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheikh Shadab Towqir (PhD student, Spring 2020 - ) email@example.com
Sheik Murad Hassan (PhD student, Spring 2020 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Tung Dao (PhD student, Fall 2020 - ) T.Dao@cvent.com
Yan Zhao (MS student, Fall 2019 - ) email@example.com
Yaxuan Zhang (MS student, Spring 2020 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
Rahul Agarwal (MS student, Spring 2020 - ) email@example.com
Hanwen Liu (MS student, Summer 2020 - ) firstname.lastname@example.org
A complete list of graduated students can be found
CS6704: Software Engineering Research [Spring17][Spring19][Spring21]
CS5704: Software Engineering [Spring16][Spring18][Spring20]
CS3304: Comparative Languages [Fall16][Fall17][Fall18][Fall20]
CS3704: Intermediate Software Design and Engineering [Fall15][Fall19]
Selected Research Topics
Security coding practices [SecDev20][TIFS19][ICSE19][ICSE18]
Artificial intelligence and software engineering[TDSC19] [IJCAI19][ICSME18a][ICSME17a]
Automated program transformations [ASE20][ICPC19][MOBILESoft18][ICSE15][ICSE13][PLDI11]
Software Bugs and Fixes (Data analytics on Programs and Program Changes)[JSS19][ICSME18b][EMSE17][ICSME17b][ICPC17]
A complete list of publications can be found
System to uncover root cause of non-deterministic (flaky) tests (Patent Number 9,311,220).
Jungwoo Ha, Jaeheon Yi, Peter Dinges, Jeremy Manson, Caitlin Harrison Sadowski, Na Meng|
The implementations from nearly all of my publications are publicly available.
Other researchers have used several of these implementations in their publications.
See projects for details.
- Associate Editor for IEEE TSE in 2021.
- Panelist for New Faculty Symposium co-located with ICSE 2020.
- Session Chair for ICSME2020, ICSE 2020, ICSE 2019, LCTES 2019
- Web Chair for PLDI 2020, PLDI 2019
- Co-chair: Publicity and Social Media for ASE 2017
- Service in CS@VT: Professor Panelist for Society of Asian Scientists and Engineering (SASE) in 2021, VTHacks 8 Judge in 2021, Diversity Committee in 2021, SE Qualifier Exam Committee in 2019-2021, Graduate Admission Committee in 2017-2019
- 2016 System Reading Group
- External Reviewer Committee Member: PLDI 2020
- Program Board Member: ICSE 2020
- Program Committee Member: ICSE Workshops 2022, SCAM2021, PLDI2021, ICSE 2021, DLS'19, ICSME 2019, ICSE 2019, ASE 2018, SecDev 2018, ICSME 2017, Onward! 2017, ACM Student Research Competition (FSE 2016), FSE-VaR 2016, MSR 2016, ETX 2015, SEA 2015, MSR 2015
- Artifact Evaluation Committee Member: CGO and PPoPP 2016, OOPSLA 2015, PLDI 2015, CGO-PPoPP 2015
- Proposal Reviewer: VT DDS (internal funding) 2018, NSF Panel 2016
- Journal Reviewer: TSE 2021, TOSEM 2021, TOSEM 2020, EMSE 2020, JSME 2020, TSE 2020, TSE 2019, JSS 2019, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics 2019, IEEE Access 2019, SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences 2019, JSME 2018, TSE 2018, Frontiers of Computer Science 2018, Empirical Software Engineering 2017, BMC Bioinformatics 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2017, Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) 2016, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM) 2016, Journal of Software: Evolution and Process 2015, IEEE Software 2015, Journal of Systems and Software(JSS) 2015, JSS 2014, Empirical Software Engineering 2013
NSF-2006278, NSF-1929701, NSF-1845446, ONR N00014-17-1-2498, NSF-1565827